Saturday, September 6, 2008

Hydroponic Hexes...


I've been under water dealing with water problems this past week. At the midpoint of last week one of my co-workers Debra H. stopped me in the hall and said she had a vision and Molly would begin labor that evening at 11:30pm. If my memory serves me correctly, she was holding a little "Molly stick figure" and was burning sage and swirling the smoke around the tiny acorn nut belly on the Mollydoll. A little creepy to be sure, but working in student affairs has made me accepting of all belief systems (Wiccan, Pagan, snake handling evangelicals speaking in tongues...I've given Princeton's money to them all.) Well, later that very night, Molly and I hear rushing water downstairs at the exact time of Debra's prediction...the back of our toilet tank has inexplicably shattered and water is gushing everywhere. A few days later our hot water heater went out. We are going broke cleaning up after Debra's misplaced spells... Speaking of cleaning up, my boss' husband was kind enough to come over and help me replace our toilet. What a great professional development moment for me, my boss watches her husband pull our toilet out of the bathroom while I ineffectually hand tools to him and basically feel like a 13 year old. While I was tempted to buy the new toilet with the gift cards we got at the beautiful baby shower my office hosted for us this past week (the baby will use the toilet at some point in the future so it technically would be a valid use of the cards) I resisted and instead bought a bookcase for the baby's room. More furniture to stain. I can't tell if we need all this furniture or if perhaps I have begun an addiction to the sweet powerful smell of polyurethane fumes. I do know I wake up in the middle of the night and go down for a quick clear coat hit...that can't be a good sign. Does Promises in Malibu have a furniture treatment treatment program?
The water associations was not all negative this week. We did get to Spring Lake to enjoy a great day at the beach. The waves were pretty rough so Molly and baby just went for a quick swim. I tried to ride some waves and it felt like I was getting caught in car crashes. It felt great to be outside all day and as the start of the academic year is right around the corner it was nice to have a quintessential Jersey summer experience. All we needed was to close the night out with a smooth ride home in a cherry Camaro blaring Bon Jovi's "Slippery When Wet", my proud brown mullet fluttering in the cool Jersey shore breeze. Garden State gorgeousity.

1 comment:

Sheherazade said...

Name suggestions:
Since this is a fall baby, what about Lax, Field Hockey (if it's a girl) or Bowler? (or, Blue Thunder!)